Sociology & Social Thought
Major & Minor
This is a general overview of the major and minor. Always consult the Hillsdale College Catalog for the year during which your major is declared, or for the minor, the year of matriculation. SST appears near the back of current catalogs under “Interdisciplinary Fields of Concentration.” These are the requirements as of August 2014.
The Sociology & Social Thought Major
Note that SOC 101 does not count toward the major. It is recommended, but not required as a prerequisite. Students who have not taken SOC 101 at Hillsdale are urged to read Peter L. Berger’s Invitation to Sociology at their earliest convenience.
14 hours as follows:
- SOC 306 (Cultural Anthropology) or 319 (Comparative Human Societies) – 3 hrs
- SOC 390 (Research Methods) – 3 hrs
- SOC 391 (History of Social Theory) – 3 hrs
- SOC 317 (Interaction & Social Definition) or PSY 385 (Social Psychology) – 3 hrs
- SOC 570 (Senior Capstone) – 1 hr each semester of senior year, 2 hrs total
A senior paper (min 10 pp), presentation, and comprehensive exam are included as part of SOC 570.
(Students studying abroad during senior year, please consult the director.)
At least 15 additional hours in SOC or other approved courses, at least 3 of which must be at the 400 level. (Any courses explicitly listed under SST in the published schedule for a given term are considered approved; consult director regarding other requests.)
Total credit hours: 29
A statistics course may be counted toward the major if the student is not pursuing a second major or minor which requires statistics (examples: biology, business, economics, psychology).
Additional requirements for departmental honors:
- 3.7 or higher in-major GPA
- Performance at currently defined minimum level on comprehensive exam (consult director)
- Senior paper at least 20 pages, not including notes, refs
- A-level senior paper and presentation
The Sociology Minor
Note that SOC 101 does not count toward the minor. It is recommended, but not required as a prerequisite. Students who have not taken SOC 101 at Hillsdale are urged to read Peter L. Berger’s Invitation to Sociology at their earliest convenience.
9 hours as follows:
- SOC 306 (Cultural Anthropology) or 319 (Comparative Human Societies)
- SOC 390 (Research Methods)
- SOC 391 (History of Social Theory)
9 additional hours in SOC
Total credit hours: 18
Psychology majors who minor in sociology may substitute another SOC course for 390. Counting non-SOC courses for the minor will normally not be permitted, but exceptions are at the discretion of the program director. Exceptions may be specified in the published schedule for a given term.