Alpha Tau Omega
The Alpha Tau Omega fraternity was founded at Virginia Military Institute in September 1865 in order “to bind men together in a brotherhood based upon eternal and immutable principles, with a bond as strong as right itself and as lasting as humanity.” Since its founding, ATO has grown nationally to over 150 chapters, making it one of the top national fraternities. Hillsdale’s Beta Kappa chapter received its charter in 1888. Hillsdale’s ATOs make their home at Sunnycrest, former residence of College presidents. During the summer of 2001, Sunnycrest underwent a complete renovation.
Delta Sigma Phi
Delta Sigma Phi was founded nationally in 1899 by men who believed that “the sanctity of the home and the sacredness of the family bond, the hearthstone of our enlightened civilization, and the chivalry of man toward woman, shall be maintained and protected by us, not only for ourselves and our posterity, but also for the good of all mankind.” The Tau chapter of Delta Sigma Phi, one of the oldest in the nation, was installed at Hillsdale on May 15, 1915.
Delta Tau Delta
Delta Tau Delta was founded in 1858 at Bethany College in present-day West Virginia. Born of the knowledge that integrity is essential, the founding principles of Truth, Courage, Faith, and Power have provided a guide for its membership. Since 1858, the Fraternity has spread to over 200 campuses with 125 active chapters and colonies composed of over 7,000 undergraduate members. In 150 years, more than 150,000 men have become members of Delta Tau Delta. The Hillsdale College Kappa chapter exists to encourage men to rise to self-government and exemplify Christ's example of servant leadership.
The seven founders of the Sigma Chi fraternity announced its establishment on June 28, 1855, at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The fraternity’s permanent headquarters are now located in Evanston, Illinois. The standard with which the Sigma Chi fraternity started was that of “admitting no man to membership in Sigma Chi who is not believed to be: a man of good character, a student of fair ability, with ambitious purposes, a congenial disposition, possessed of good morals, having a high sense of honor, and a deep sense of personal responsibility.” In August of 1980, the Alpha Kappa chapter of Sigma Chi was reinstated at Hillsdale College for the first time since 1886. Since that time, the Alpha Kappa chapter has expanded its facilities, grown in numbers and flourished on Hillsdale’s campus.
© 2007-09 Hillsdale College. All rights reserved.