1. A quorum shall consist of one over half of the total eligible voting membership.
2. A 2/3 majority of the Federationís voting members shall be required to amend these bylaws.
3. Federation committees shall report their activities every week at Federation and keep the Federation appraised of their activities.
B. Rules and Regulations for Elections Run by Federation
1. It shall be the Federation presidentís responsibility to see that candidates nominated for any office or honor meet the specific eligibility requirements established by the Federation constitution and bylaws. Such verification shall be conducted through the registrarís office. Under no circumstances shall an unqualified candidate be placed on the ballot. Candidates must meet GPA requirements as stated in the Constitution at the time of submitting petitions.
2. The Elections Board shall conduct all elections run by Federation. Candidates for an office or honor are ineligible to serve on Elections Board for that specific election.
3. The Elections Board chairman shall secure Federation members to aid him in election duties: monitoring the polling place, distributing ballots, and checking off names. Only these people shall work elections.
4. At an electionís close all ballots shall be taken to the Federation office, where they will be counted by the Federation president, Elections Board chairman, and one other executive officer, unless he or she is standing for that election. In that case he or she shall be replaced by a Federation member.
5. The results of the elections shall be published in the Collegian as soon as possible after the ballots have been counted.
6. No campaigning shall take place and no material displayed within a 50-foot radius of the polling place. Under no circumstance shall an Elections Board member either advise or solicit votes. Only the Federation president, Elections Board chairman, and scheduled Elections Board members may sit behind the polling place.
7. Ten student signatures on a petition, to be presented to the Federation advisor, shall be required for nomination of officers and independent representatives.
8. Invalid petitions shall be returned to the filing candidate, who will have 24 hours to correct and return the petition to the Federation adviser.
C. Attendance Policy
1. A list of addresses and phone numbers of all Federation members and independent alternates shall be provided to the Federation by the Secretary.
2. Each Federation member is expected to attend each Federation meeting in its entirety.
2b. If a member is absent and has not provided a written excuse to the secretary, the memberís absence shall be considered unexcused.
2c. If a member enters a Federation meeting late, it shall be considered an excused absence provided a written excuse is given to the secretary and read to the Federation at that meeting.
3. If a member is absent and has provided a written excuse to the secretary, his absence shall be considered excused.
4. All written excuses shall be read by the secretary at the meeting following the absence.
© 2007-09 Hillsdale College. All rights reserved.