Salutations, one and all!
Parents come to Hillsdale College as men and women “grateful to God for the inestimable blessings” resulting from civil and religious liberty and “believing that the diffusion of learning is essential to the perpetuity of these blessings.” You are servant-leaders in your various fields of endeavors and you subscribe to the philosophy that leaders are servers. The College embraces your talents and abilities, and, thus, it provides the Parents Association as the venue for your involvement with the College.
As parents of Hillsdale College students, we serve a vital role in supporting and promoting the mission of Hillsdale College. To best serve the Hillsdale College community, the Parents Association has six sub-committees, and you are invited to participate in one or more of them.
1. The Fundraising Sub-Committee assists with the Parent-to-Parent Phonathons and with other College-approved fundraising activities. Kathy McDonald (mother of Wendell Austell ) chairs this sub-committee.
2. The Events Sub-Committee enlists parent volunteers for various College-related gatherings held on and off campus. Bruce and Elitza Meyer ( Parents of Ayla) chair this sub-committee.
3. The Freshman/New Parents Sub-Committee helps coordinate parent volunteers for the College’s varied “new parents” activities and aids in enlisting parents to actively participate in the various sub-committees. Jim and Sheila Banovetz (Parents of Mary Beth, James, John and Joseph) chair this sub-committee.chair this sub-committee.
4. The Career Opportunities Sub-Committee recruits parent volunteers as a resource pool for potential internship and job opportunities that are utilized by the Career Services Office.
5. The Hillsdale College Recruiting/Admissions Assistance Program (HCAAP) Sub-Committee solicits parent volunteers to assist the College’s nationwide student recruitment program. Ben Korom, staff member, is the chairman.
6. The Hillsdale College Parents Prayer Partners Sub-Committee is a prayer team that prays for the needs of Hillsdale College’s students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, administration, and board of trustees. Prayer requests are submitted via email, and twice monthly Prayer Partners receive a prayer letter via email, which includes items for prayer. For more information, please email Chairwoman Rebecca Whitaker (Parent of Emily)
Parents Weekends are an integral part of the Hillsdale College experience. They are structured so that parents can meet with their students’ instructors to hear the positive and the challenging aspects of their students’ academic efforts and with their students to positively reconnect with them. Also, parent volunteers who have vicariously experienced the Hillsdale College academic regimen are available to “check the pulse” of new parents and to offer positive support and suggestions. Parents Weekends are scheduled for October 19-21, 2012, and March 8-10, 2013.
You are an integral part of Hillsdale College and its mission. As representatives of the Parents Association, we solicit and value your servant-leader input and volunteerism. Through our parental relationships with the College, we believe that we can have a fruitful impact on our society. To this end, parents of alumni are continuing to serve the College in any possible way. Thus, we endorse the concept, “four years of sacrifice and a lifetime of commitment.” If you have any input or you would like to volunteer, please contact Mary Ewers, Director of Parent Relations at (517) 607-2382 or by e-mail. You are welcome to e-mail us anytime.
As goodwill ambassadors for Hillsdale College, the Parents Association Steering Committee members look forward to meeting and serving you and your students.
Glen and Sonya Flint
© 2007-09 Hillsdale College. All rights reserved.