Michael Alex Mossey Library
In addition to a collection of nearly two million volumes, the Mossey Library contains a number of rare and special collections, including the personal libraries of Ludwig von Mises and Richard Weaver, a collection of rare Bibles and prayer books, a collection of Free Baptist historical material, the College’s historical archives, and numerous other rare volumes.
The library’s holdings include 266,000 books; 1.5 million e-book titles; 65,000 electronic journals; 105,000 electronic musical scores, electronic recordings and other e-resources; access to over 200 academic research databases; 500,000 microforms; 21,000 audio-visual items; and over 30,000 periodical subscriptions in various formats that include numerous full-text computer file titles.
These collections are supplemented by more than 361 million items, which are available through inter-library loan from thousands of participating libraries in over a hundred countries within the OCLC global library cooperative, as well as access to the collections of over four hundred Michigan libraries that participate in the Michigan eLibrary Catalog consortium.
Five professional librarians, five support staff, and thirty-five student assistants staff the library.
Built in 1971, Mossey Library replaced Carr Library, which had been built in 1951. The library was named in memory of Michael Alex Mossey, son of the late Donald and Jane Hill Mossey, ’51, ’52.
Mossey Library expanded in 1994 with the addition of the Leighton-Taylor Wing, a three-level addition that more than doubled the library’s capacity. Hillsdale benefactors Judd and Mary Lou Leighton provided a leadership gift, and Hillsdale’s Board of Trustees also provided a generous gift to honor former College Vice President Laurence Taylor.