Roche Sports Complex
The sports complex houses the Dawn Tibbetts Potter Arena and the John “Jack” McAvoy Natatorium with a combination pool and diving area, a sports medicine facility, four racquetball courts, extensive locker room facilities, the “JAM” (Jared, Aaron, and Morgan Veldheer) Weight Room, and coaching and administrative offices.
The stadium has a seating capacity of 6,500, and includes “Muddy” Waters Field and Herrick Track, with an artificial (Pro Grass) football field and all-weather Mondo eight-lane running track.
The College also has eight outdoor tennis courts and an outdoor basketball/soccer sports court.
201 Oak Street
Hillsdale, MI 49242
The 60,000-square-foot Dawn Tibbetts Potter Arena within the George Roche Sports Complex includes the following features:
- Three regulation wood-floor basketball courts that also hold four regulation volleyball courts
- The game venue for the basketball and volleyball teams, which seats 2,100 and includes the President’s Hospitality Suite and Hall of Fame Room
- Team meeting/video room
- Locker rooms for women’s volleyball and basketball, and men’s basketball
- Offices for women’s volleyball and basketball, men’s basketball, and men’s golf
- Golf simulator room
- The Fitness Center with the following amenities:
- Cardio equipment: ten treadmills, eight ellipticals, four stationary bicycles, two rowers
- Complete circuit of individual station selectorized strength-training equipment
- Free weights and free-exercise space
- Eight station rock-climbing wall
- 3,200-square-foot wood floor, mirror-lined Exercise Studio with advanced video capabilities
- Spin cycling room with instructor platform and twenty-four cycles
The Roche Sports Complex, named after former Hillsdale College President George C. Roche III, was dedicated in 1988.
The facility represented a major renovation and expansion of the old Stock Fieldhouse, which was built in 1927 to accommodate four hundred students. In 1989, the Jesse Philips Arena was dedicated.
The College completed additional renovations of its athletic facilities in 2013-2014, resulting in a new student fitness center and a completely renovated arena, as well as a golf-simulator room, a rock-climbing wall, and additional offices and locker rooms.