The Hillsdale College Biology Department is located in the Strosacker Science Center and Dow Science Building. The biology department has several state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, including a virology lab (BSL II), animal behavior lab, microbiology lab, anatomy suite and cadaver lab, and molecular core facility.
Instrumentation & Research Equipment
Notable biological instrumentation and research equipment include:
- JEOL JSM-5510 Scanning Electron Microscope
- Sorvall RC6+ Preparative Centrifuge
- Beckman Optimax-XP Ultracentrifuge
- ABI 3130 Genetic Analyzer
- BioTek Synergy HT Microtiter Plate Reader
- Step One Plus Real-Time PCR Thermal Cycler
- Thermal cyclers
- Olypmus CX41 Microscopes
- Zeis Axioskop Epi-Fluorescence Microscope
- Steris Lab 100 Autocalve
- Nikon SMZ800 Microscope
- Trace 130 Chromatograph
- Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- SDS/Page Electrophoresis
- Li-Cor Odyssey Scanner
- Living Stream
- LN2 & -80°C Storage
- Cell Culture Apparatus
- Aquatic Habitat Aquaria
In addition to its laboratory facilities, the Biology Department also houses an on-campus museum of natural history and an off-campus research facility in Luther, Michigan.
Daniel M. Fisk Museum of Natural History
Established in 1874 by Professor Daniel Moses Fisk, the Fisk Museum of Natural History at Hillsdale College contains thousands of biological, geological, and archaeological specimens that serve as a point of discovery for visitors to the College, instructional material for Hillsdale College courses, and research specimens for Hillsdale College and the greater scientific community.
G.H. Gordon Biological Station
The G.H. Gordon Biological Station at Rockwell Lake is Hillsdale College’s field research laboratory in northern lower Michigan. The tract includes 685 acres of old fields, forests, marshes, swamps, bogs, a trout stream, and a lake. The station is used by the biology department for weekend field trips, summer courses, and student and faculty research.