Requirements for the Concentration in Theatre:
A major in Theatre consists of at least 31 hours of course credits chosen with respect to the following guidelines.
Theatre Core Courses
Every student who wishes to emphasize theatre studies within the Theatre and Dance Department must take a “Theatre Core” consisting of the following courses within the major. Although not strictly required in every case, it is strongly recommended that students complete the Theatre Core Practical Essentials classes before moving to Upper Division classes.
Theatre Core: Practical Essentials (3 courses-9 hours)
- Theatre 200: Understanding Theatre
- Theatre 235: Acting I: Basic Performance Techniques
- Theatre 225: Basic Theatre Technology
Theatre Core: History (4 courses-12 hours)
- Theatre 210: Theatre in History I
- Theatre 215: Theatre in History II
- Theatre 301: Theatre in History III
- Theatre 302: Theatre in History IV
Note: With permission of the Chair, a course in the History Core may be substituted with a course from The Developing Historian (below; the course cannot be used for both sections). The remaining 10 hours of course work toward the major should be chosen to reflect the student’s particular interest and emphasis within the general study of Theatre. The student should consult with department faculty and advisors in making the best choices. The following guidelines and requirements apply. To aid in course selection, the classes have been grouped by type, rather than by strict course number.
Upper Division: The Developing Historian (1 course, 3 hours)
- Dance 215: History of Dance
- Rhetoric and Public Address 301: Movies as Medium
- Theatre 404: History of Musical Theatre
- Theatre 408: History of American Theatre
- Theatre 493: Contemporary Topics in Theatre and Film
Upper Division: The Developing Artist (1 course, 3 hours)
This course will decide the direction of and serve as a prerequisite to the Senior Project.
- Dance 220: Choreography and Improvisation I*
- Theatre 236: Design for the Theatre I
- Theatre 310: Playwriting: Sources and Methods
- Theatre 335: Acting II: Characterization for the Stage
- Theatre 340: Basic Directing for the Theatre
*Dance 220 students must take an additional one-credit course in Dance Technique.
- 163 Theatre/Dance
Upper Division: The Maturing Artist (1 course, 3 hours)
This course will continue the direction of and serve as a prerequisite to the Senior Project.
- Dance 320: Choreography and Improvisation II*
- Theatre 312: Advanced Projects in Playwriting
- Theatre 336: Design for the Theatre II
- Theatre 339: Make-Up Design
- Theatre 410: Dramaturgy
- Theatre 435: Acting III: Movement for the Stage
- Theatre 440: Advanced Projects in Directing
*Dance 320 students must take an additional one-credit course in Dance Technique.
Upper Division: Capstone (1 course, 1 hour)
- Theatre 575: Senior Projects in Theatre
Each student majoring in theatre must work backstage in a significant capacity on at least two Department Productions.
Students must also take any otherone course taught in the Department, including up to three hours of credit in Theatre Production, or up to three hours of credit in Dance (18 hours).