The music department is housed in the John E.N and Dede Howard Music Building. With it’s traditional Italianate architecture the building complements other campus buildings while the interior reflects a modern approach to function.
The building is a two story, 32,809 square foot, $8.7 million facility that was designed and built to accommodate the expansion that the Music Department experienced over the previous several years with focus placed on teaching and rehearsal space.
In addition to two rehearsal/recital halls, the building also contains 9 faculty studio offices, 25 practice rooms of various sizes, a jazz studio, a percussion studio, and a music classroom. The McNamara Rehearsal Hall, Conrad Recital Hall, and classroom are all equipped with state of the art recording, playback, and video electronics.
McNamara Rehearsal Hall
McNamara Rehearsal Hall is the primary large rehearsal space. The rehearsal hall encompasses 3,863 square feet, with wood floors, a top ceiling height of 45 feet, and a 1922 33-rank Aeolian Organ that has been completely rebuilt.
Conrad Recital Hall
The Conrad Recital Hall sits across from the McNamara Rehearsal Hall and is an intimate performing space with a warm acoustic as a result of the high ceilings and wood floored stage. The recital hall is also home to the department’s new Bösendorfer Grand Piano.